Pupdate: Allergy Testing





Stanlee is my pup that does all the modeling for my shop.  He is super sweet, loyal, and knows how to model a bow-tie very well.  What you probably don't know about Stanlee is that he actually suffers from two things: anxiety and allergies.  

Ever since we adopted Stanlee, we knew he had some type of skin problem.  Stanlee gets pretty stinky, even after just having a bath, his skin is usually pink and itchy, he breaks out in hives and is sensitive to just about anything.  After having the little guy for 3 years, we decided it was time to get an allergy test to see exactly what it is he's allergic to.  We tried e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. and nothing seemed to get his allergies under control, and our vet visits to something less frequent than every 6-8 weeks.  So, we did an allergy test a couple weeks ago and we now FINALLY know what it is he is allergic to.
A specific type of mold.

Mold.  
That's all. 
I honestly thought the vet was going to say he was allergic to grass, pollen, wool and even his own dander!

However, when an allergy test comes back, if the dog's level is over 150, they are considered allergic to that item (and they test for everything).  Stanlee came back with a level of 1300+ for this specific mold! Yes you read that correctly, over 1300!  Talk about severely allergic to this mold.  Our next step is to give him injections every 4-5 days over the next 6 weeks and then he will go to just once a month, hopefully.

Because we have lived in four different apartments in four different cities across Ohio, the vet didn't seem to think it was a problem with our current living conditions since Stanlee has a very long history of skin allergies, and our apartment complex is brand new.  Mold can grow anywhere, but the vet explained this mold is common in old homes, basements and very humid walls.  We aren't sure exactly how this severe allergy came about.  The vet said it could be the product of his last home environment before we adopted him, and his body reacting to being removed from that environment.  Similar to a pregnant woman that eats a lot of peanuts, their baby could be more prone to a peanut allergy.  

Either way, we now know what Stanlee's allergy is, and how to treat it which makes this momma very happy.  And, seeing him in his little bandaged paw made me want to cuddle him even more than usual. How pitiful does that little paw and face look!

p.s. - Is the pregnant woman/peanut allergy thing really true?  Because if I am ever pregnant, it will be an awful 9 months of not consuming peanut butter twice a day.  
Me + peanut butter = happiness.



6 friendly comments:

Stacy said...

Stanlee looks fairly serene after his ordeal! Such a handsome guy. Well, just going off of what I remember reading during my hyper-hormonal times, If you don’t personally have a peanut allergy, you don’t need to be overly concerned that your child will develop an allergy if you eat peanut butter while you’re pregnant. “Overly concerned” is not precisely scientific, so maybe moderation is key. Some OBs say yay for protein; some remind you that it may increase heart burn & acid reflux.

Over-consumption of something that is a known allergen may be detrimental, but it certainly did not apply to my kiddos and pizza (the only time in my life that I could have lived on it)… or maybe they just come by their love naturally via their daddy-o? Tell me, do you have a cousin whose blood runs thick with the love of pizza?

crazy love studios said...

Awww....We have two Bostons and one is perfectly groomed and always shiny and the other is always chewing, scratching, and gnawing at her skin and get the sores, etc. We have also tried everything and to no avail :( We know that she must be just miserable and feel so bad! So, it looks like an allergy test might be the best bet :)

LittleBlueFeather said...

@crazy love studios The allergy test is expensive, but I feel like I am glad knowing now what it is. Now, I don't have to waist time wondering if it is food, fabric type, grass, etc. Maybe it would be a good step for your little pup!

LittleBlueFeather said...

@Stacy I would say there are quite a few pizza lovers in our family! ;)

Thanks for the peanut butter info too. Good to know!

Leanne R. said...

always love seeing your pictures of stanlee and miley. they are so adorable and expressive. i wish i had such wonderful pictures of my turk. hope the injections help and he gets some relief soon!

Mikelle Jade {The Honeypie Archives} said...

awww poor pup :( I hope he gets feeling better

my doctor said eating PB is fine as long as it's not too much or too often... he also said the same thing about sushi, and I know a lot of people avoid that during pregnancy too!