Oreo BonBon Recipe

Today I am sharing another fantastic Oreo recipe with you all!



A few years ago, my friend Gretchen introduced me to the wonderful world of Oreo bonbons!  What is an Oreo bonbon?!  Well, it is basically a truffle-like Oreo fudgey {not sure that's a real word} center that is dipped in chocolate.  Gretchen heard of the recipe from her sister-in-law, that heard it from who knows where.  I am just thankful someone shared it with me, so now I am sharing it with you!


This recipe is really easy and will be the perfect thing to take to your holiday parties!

Ingredients:
1 package of regular oreos
1 block of 1/3 reduced fat cream cheese (not sure why, but the 1/3 fat works best)
Milk chocolate or chocolate almond bark for melting and dipping.


Photobucket
*I bought generic brand cream cheese and melting chocolate since I am doing lots of baking this time of year and wanted to not go crazy with the grocery bill.  I was a little nervous changing things up, but they turned out just amazing as they always do.  So don't worry about buying a specific brand of chocolate or cream cheese.  If I wouldn't have found Oreos on sale at Wal-Mart, I would have tried the off brand as well.


1) Take your package of Oreos, and place the entire cookie in a food processor.  I use a little kitchen aid appliance that purees the Oreos down into tiny little crumbs.




2)  Take your block of cream cheese and place it in the bowl with the cookie puree.
*If you are using a double stuff Oreo, maybe cut down the block of cream cheese a tiny bit.


3)  Use your hands and mix the cream cheese in with the Oreos.  This part is kinda messy, but is the best way to really get everything mixed really well.  Once combined, form the mixture into little balls and place on a waxed cookie sheet.


4)  Once all of the cookie mixture has been formed into little balls, place the cookie sheet in the freezer to cool them quickly, about 10 minutes.  This will help the chocolate coating to stick and cool to the bonbon quicker.


5)  Now it's time to dip them in chocolate!  Take your chocolate pieces and melt them down according the the directions on the bag.  Once the chocolate is melted, I like to pour it into a small sauce pot on the stove with a very low temperature to keep the chocolate warm.  For dipping into the chocolate, I use a special whisk that I purchased at the Smuckers store in Orrville, OH.  You can also use toothpicks or another method that works well for you.


 6)  Place the bonbon back on the cookie sheet while it cools.  Finish dipping every bonbon in chocolate and then you are done!  Keep the bonbons stored in the refrigerator or keep them in the freezer until your party so they will be colder longer and can sit out on a table for an hour or two.


 *optional steps below:


7)  Purchase colored melting chips (usually it is vanilla flavored) at your local craft store in the baking section.  Melt it according to the package.  Place the melted vanilla chips in a bag and clip a very small opening in the corner of the bag to decorate the bonbons.



*Want more suggestions?!  Try using mint, peanut butter, all chocolate or other flavored Oreos to give your bonbons a twist!  I will let you in on a little secret, mint oreos with a dark chocolate outer layer is so delicious and perfect for winter!  My next combination I want to try that I haven't yet; peanut butter Oreos with a white chocolate coating.  


Have fun experimenting with your Oreo bonbons!  I am certain they will be a big hit at your next get-together.








2 friendly comments:

stephanie said...

oh. my. gosh. those look insane. they're vegan right? ; )

Little Blue Feathers said...

They are insanely good!!